Can you Change your Body Shape?
Yes visually you can!
YOU CAN certainly change your body shape visually by the way you dress.
You can also lose weight and build muscle to change your body shape but you can never change your body structure i.e. body frame.
That is why your Body Type always remains the same whatever your size.
However, with clever use of COLOR, DESIGN and STYLE you can create an optical illusion so that your body shape does in fact look different!
Use Light and Dark
Light brings forward - Dark recedes
Dark colors RECEDE and will make you look smaller while light colors come FORWARD and make you look larger.
Enhance your best features with light or bright colors and hide a problem area with darker shades.
bust and slim hips? Light bright colors and shiny fabrics will draw the
eye - so keep your darker colors to the top and allow the eye to be drawn
to slim hips.
bust and larger hips? Keep darker colors to the bottom half of your
body and bring the eye upwards with a brighter or lighter shade.
The images to the left do, in fact, change your body shape.
Draw the eye
- Wear the lightest color on your top half to draw the eye, you're immediately taller and slimmer.
- The loose fabric creates a larger top half to balance the width of the hips
- Add heels, even a small wedge, to lengthen the legs.
- The cut of your pants makes a difference. Excess fabric makes hips look bigger and cut off legs make you look wider/shorter; straight leg pants lengthen the leg.
- You're in control. If you have a large bust and like to play it down avoid shiny or sparkly fabrics.
Wide leg pants and top from Chico's
How to change your Body Shape
Below I show you how you can use colors, patterns, shapes and even the fluidity of the fabric to change your body shape. Be critical of your silhouette because you can influence the look!
Fluid fabric skims, firm fabric adds bulk
Left emphasizes hips, right slims
1. dark bottom slims hips 2. diagonals slim waist 3. wider top slim hips 4. adding curves
Work with your Body Type
There's no such thing as the perfect figure but there are easy ways to balance every Body Type.
Check out the styling tips for each:
And if you have a particular 'figure challenge' - wide hips, worried about your arms etc. - there are lots of ways you can dress to disguise or camouflage your concern here.
Homepage >> Vertical Body >> Change your body shape