Tall Lady Style Tips
It's easy for me to forget that a tall lady can have just as many problems finding clothes to fit as us vertically challenged 'shorties'.
Not only must she take into account her generic Body Type but finding garments that can accommodate a long torso with extra length in the sleeves and trouser legs can be a nightmare.
Many tall ladies are completely confident but others may feel self conscious as they tower over a room and can feel less than feminine.
Gisele Bundchen shown right is one of the highest models in the world and stands at 5ft 11ins.
Gisele Bundchen 5ft 11"
Celebrity beauties who stand tall
5 ft 10"
5 ft 11"
6 ft 1"
6 ft 2"
6 ft 3"
6 ft 4"
6 ft 5"
Duchess of Cambridge, Queen Latifah
Nicole Kidman, Gisele Bundchen
Brooke Shields, Jerry Hall
Maria Sharapova, Jodie Kidd
The advantages of being tall
- your height is envied by most of us
- long legs allow you to look good in most styles
- you are the perfect clothes horse
- you are always listened to with interest
- you can carry additional weight without it showing
- you don't have to ruin your feet with killer heels!
Jerry Hall 6ft
Generic style tips for a tall lady
- Follow the guidelines for your generic Body Type initially
- Choose beautiful or interesting shoes because everyone will check to see what heels you're wearing!
- Don't avoid heels, they do great things for your legs and posture
- Visually reduce your height by creating an optical illusion and breaking up a solid line
- Interesting separates and color changes soften this vertical block
- Create horizontal lines with wider collars, belts, hemlines etc.
- Feeling less than feminine? stick to your comfort zone with pants but try a wider softer pant and a blouse with movement like Nicole Kidman (below) 'tomboy chic'
A Tall Lady will always be seen so...
- Adopt a hairstyle that flatters your face and is in proportion to your body
- Take time with your makeup to always look your best
- Personal grooming is important
- When you look good you'll feel good and can hold your head up high - confidence is sexy!
- Good posture is vital so be confident stand up straight and learn to love yourself
- Need style inspiration? Copy the style of your favorite tall celebrity
Brooke Shields 6ft
In proportion to your size ...
- small florals and patterns, small collars and fussy detail
- delicate neat jewelry, small bags and accessories
- clingy fabric and designs
- enjoy dramatic and bold statement jewelry
- interesting necklines, large collars with texture or fur, dramatic large ponchos and wraps
- over sized tote bags and beautiful boots
Breaking up solid line adds width
Tall and slender
- you may need to add shape to your figure
- add shoulder pads to create width and stature
- add bulk to top half with blouson top, cardigan, bolero or loose jacket
- create volume on your bottom half with wide legged/pleated pants
- a belt creates a waistline to add shape
- wear double breasted or loose jackets
Jodie Kidd 6ft 2"
Broad shouldered small bust
- you have model proportions
- long legs look great in most styles
- add movement to create curves
- you can be dramatic and elegant
Nicole Kidman 5ft 11"
Athletic or larger figure
- show off your broad shoulders
- wear simple styles with enough fabric to allow movement
- ensure color breaks accentuate your best points
- one piece dress with decolletage or interest down the center
- ensure that pants fit well around your hips so there's no strain
- avoid too much fullness, too many details
- assymetrical lines reduce bulk
Gabriella Reece 6ft 3"
Establish the manufacturers that fit and suit you then stick with them...
Large size shoes: Zappos, Long Tall Sally, Nordstrom
Fashion and Jeans: Gap; Long Tall Sally; Long Elegant Legs; Banana Republic
A man looked up at a tall woman and said Wow you’re tall! Do you play basketball?”
She shot back without missing a beat, “Wow you’re short! Do you play miniature golf?” Touche!
Please share your COMMENTS
Homepage >> Dress for your Body Shape >> Style advice for a Tall Lady