You have an HOURGLASS figure
What is an HOURGLASS FIGURE? Well if you have CURVED HIPS and your shoulders are roughly the same width - whether you are a size 8 or size 28 - you are hourglass!
With a well defined waistline and can buy a top and bottom in the same size - you are completely balanced.
Sometimes called a Star shape!
This is sometimes called a STAR shape, I really don't know why because there are certainly no straight lines with your figure. You have curves in all the right places.
If you gain weight you will likely put it on all evenly over your body, you'll keep a neat waist and maintain the balance top and bottom.
We're all different shapes and sizes but if this is the nearest body shape to your own, it's LOGICAL to choose the most flattering shapes for this feminine shape.
Shape not Size
Many people assume that an Hourglass figure means you are voluptuous - as in plump, cuddly uh uh... overweight! It doesn't!
Even if you're very slim with shoulders and hips in balance with each other and a definite waistline then you are still considered Hourglass - it just means that you're equal top and bottom.
And if you're a bigger lady? This is the ultimate shape as far as the male race is concerned anyway, curves are always in!
The positives of an Hourglass figure
- you have beautifully rounded curvaceous body with well balanced hips and bottom
- you have a neat and very well defined waistline
Maximize your femininity
- Work with your natural curves
- Look for fluid fabrics that skim the body and move with you
- Ensure that the bust is fitted as well as the hips
- Choose dresses with waist details
What looks amazing!
- A sheath dress that fits your hourglass figure to perfection
- Wrap dresses in a soft fabric
- Belts to emphasize your waist
- Pencil skirts that are properly tailored to your hips/thighs
- High waisted pants accentuate the waist and elongate the legs
Right: Catherine Zeta Jones wears a dress that follows her curves and shows them to full advantage.
shapes on the fabric echo the curvy figure and a fluid
skirt drapes softly around curved hips and thighs.
Extra fabric introduced at the hemline balances the bust and hip.
and what to avoid!
- Keep the pattern and details to a minimum, your figure will do it all
- Don't hide your curves in baggy or boxy clothes - you will lose your waist and look considerably bigger
- Avoid too much gathering around your hips
- Avoid firm fabric shirts - they won't drape around your curves and will gape - choose a fluid fabric
- Avoid finishing a skirt hem at the widest part of your legs - this will widen your bottom half
- Trousers are not always your best friend but aim for a high waist to elongate your legs
- It's easy to look overtly sexy - be aware!
The glamorous Eva Longoria is actually a Petite but presents her hourglass figure in a stunning well fitted sheath dress.
And (right) a photo I found on Pinterest ages ago. I am indebted to this beautiful lady who shows us how to look fabulous with an hourglass figure even when we're not on the red carpet!
She perfectly balances top and bottom of her figure, playing to her curves and defining her waist. (If you know who she is, I'd love to know!)
Full Hourglass Figure
Kim Kardashian enjoys a full hourglass figure and plays it to the utmost. A little more emphasis on the shoulder line, however, would balance her figure even more and actually slim the overall look.
She has been reported as saying (and it's even been photographed) that she uses Spanx (body shapewear) on the red carpet.
Although you will now understand the basics of fitting your HOURGLASS figure, like most of us, you may have the odd 'problem spot' which bothers you.
Perhaps it's sloping shoulders, a hollow back, a bust that's too big or too small - so take a look at how you can dress this part individually.
Dress for your OWN Body Shape shows you how to cope with your own personal bugbears!
5' 3" or under then you're a Petite lady with an Hourglass figure. Check out my styling tips and make the most of every inch of your hourglass figure.
Allow 'Your Style' to visit you!
The latest features on Color Analysis, Body Shape and Style to your Inbox, twice monthly.
Plus a Free copy of my book 'Shortcut to Style', it works for you, whatever your age shape or size!
Sitemap or locate all features relating to...
Homepage >> Shape >> Hourglass figure