How to wear Sunscreen with Makeup?
It's easy to wear sunscreen with makeup?
It's great to go au naturel on vacation but perhaps, like me, you like to incorporate your sunscreen with makeup to some degree.
Two reasons here - my skin is not as young as it was (under statement) and I'm naturally very fair. So although makeup isn't necessarily essential it does make me feel better - no other reason needed!
We're frequently told that we need to protect our skin every day, not just when we're on the beach but we're rarely told the correct way to apply the two together.
Like everything else, it's about getting into good habits and knowing the most suitable products to use.
SUNSCREEN MUST COME FIRST!
- Sunscreen - after cleansing your face apply sunscreen - an SPF factor of 30 or higher is advised. I like to use factor 50 because I feel it lasts longer.
- Moisturizer - wait about 20 minutes to allow the sunscreen to take effect before applying moisturizer - if you can.
- Foundation - it will help to avoid slippage if you can wait a few minutes before applying. You can, if you like, mix together a little foundation with a tinted BB cream.
are not enough protection on their own but will give additional support to your sun protection. Apply sunscreen first and wait for about 20 minutes before applying your chosen moisturizer.
are not enough protection on their own but will give additional support to your sun protection. Mineral makeups in particular are said to be helpful as the powder is likely to cover any thinly protected spots.
Looking for a protective foundation? I've found that there's plenty of choice across major brands and at every price level.
Is SPF factor makeup enough in itself?
- NO! One important reason is that the coverage using makeup with SPF varies according to
how it is formulated and how it's applied and therefore might not be as effective (according to Dr Paul Friedman, MD, Director of the Dermatology & Laser Surgery Center, Houston, Texas)
Does layering products increase the protection?
- NO! Although Mineral makeup
with SPF is reputed to enhance your protection if layered over a
sunscreen product as it will probably cover any spots you've missed.
- You're only protected by the highest SPF e.g. if you apply sunscreen with SPF 30 and foundation of SPF 15 you are only protected by 30.
(according to Dr Leslie Baumann, MD, Director of the Cosmetic
Dermatology division, Miller School of Medicine)
Find all articles relating to
Please share your COMMENTS
Homepage >> Skin Care >> How to Wear Sunscreen with Makeup