NEW CAPSULE WARDROBE PLANS for Fall 2017
Petite Apple Shape
Two aspects to consider...
If you are a petite Apple shape you have two lots of styling points to consider.
An Apple Shape has good proportions with a shapely bust, slender hips and
good legs and will carry any additional weight around the midriff.
Now because you are also a Petite Lady, you need to be equally aware of how you can elongate your silhouette at the same time.
What different people consider 'petite' can vary but I usually think it's 5ft 3" and under.
The body is 'considered' to be perfectly proportioned if it is roughly divided in
half at the leg break. Now that's as far as the garment industry is concerned, but we all know that there's no such thing as a 'perfect body'.
However, if clothes are cut to that kind of standard specification then it helps if we know how to cope with the inevitable problems that are caused when buying 'off the peg'.
Chico's do a fabulous range of Petite clothing.
How to balance your proportions...
However, the majority of shorter ladies have a torso that is longer than half the body length with shorter legs.
Don't be over-critical of your figure but if you'd like to look taller there are simple ways to visually balance your proportions and help your legs to look a bit longer.
In the image (right) the legs are all the same length but you can see how easy it is to influence the eye with color. Where the color is taken right up to under the bust it appears to make the legs look longer.
Take a look at petite styling tips.
Main style tips for a Petite Apple Shape
Everyone is different but the best styling tips for a Petite Apple Shape combine those for an Apple Body Shape - sculpt the midriff and create balance - and for Petite women - elongate the silhouette and balance top and bottom halves.
To flatter the Petite Apple shape as a whole:
- Streamline and elongate with solid color, shape or pattern
- Don't wear clothes that are overly baggy, you'll look shorter and wider
- Don't draw attention to your middle area
- Keep the focus high on your figure
- avoid wearing heels that are too high, it often draws attention to your height even more
Tips for dresses...
- fit well on the shoulders and bustline - a V neckline is flattering
- shape in to define the narrowest part of your body just below your bust
- choose a fabric that drapes and flows over your curves, avoid stiff fabrics
- all one color or streamlined design to elongate your figure
- if wearing two colors keep the lightest color at the top to draw the eye
- don't let the length overwhelm you - handkerchief hem or maxi are both good
- don't finish a straight hem at the widest point of your leg
- tights, shoes or boots all in the same color will lengthen your legs
and for tops...
- enjoy stunning color and detail, long necklaces too - it will keep interest high
- choose a style that fits well on the shoulder line and over the bust, a V neckline is flattering
- show off the slimmest point below the bust with a tunic style that flares to cover the tummy
- a blouson style will drape over your tummy and sit on your slim hips
- long enough style to cover your middle but not too long so it shortens your bottom half
- choose a fabric that moves with your figure to glide over your curves
- avoid anything too clingy or too over large, also avoid shiny fabric over your larger middle
- avoid halter neck, cut-in shoulder line and styles that rise up in the front
Skirts and trousers...
- keep detail to a minimum below the waist with pants or skirts
- wear deeper colors below the waist
- avoid pants or skirts with detail as it brings the eye down
- avoid tapered trousers it will shorten your legs
- an A line skirt is flattering and works well for fuller calves
- good jeans for a flattering fit and denim is rigid and good for holding in the tummy
- match skirt, dress, trousers with hose and shoes or boots. One color elongates
And for jackets
- jackets should fit on the shoulder line - a simple unfussy shape is best
- a fluid fabric that allows movement around the body and skims over your top
- single breasted or buttonless is good, kimono shape or waterfall
Underwear is always important
- A heavy bustline needs a well fitted bra - your waist will look smaller in comparison
- Don't be afraid to wear Shapewear for a smoother silhouette
Please share your COMMENTS
Homepage >> Apple Body Shape >> Petite Apple Shape