Be your own Wardrobe Consultant
We'd all like our own Wardrobe Consultant but if you follow a few basic steps you can do it just as well by yourself.
We all need to take control of our closets from time to time - at the start of a new season; or perhaps it's getting more difficult to find everthing in the morning.
Or - perhaps you've just had your colors analyzed and want to think about co-ordination with a new color swatch.
Even without tackling anything major, you can very easily take 3 basic steps...
Your aim is to...
- weed out things that don't work for your lifestyle or you don't like
- establish what fits, what does you justice and what you will happily wear
- try on, appraise and decide whether it's IN or OUT.
Step 1 - Clear OUT to make space
- Remove all clothes you're not currently wearing - out of season, vacation clothes, big winter coats, sportswear, occasionwear etc. OUT
- Remove all accessories, scarves etc and sort separately OUT
- Remove all items that are damaged, faded or out of shape OUT Remove any clothes that were a complete mistake or that you hate (forget the guilt!)
Step 2 - Things you like and fit you are IN
- Sort through your trousers and skirts. If you're currently wearing them and you know they fit and flatter you they're back IN.
- Do the same for jackets and cardigans - these will co-ordinate with the bottoms. Separate any suits so that you can make more outfits - if they fit and you feel happy with them they're IN.
- Work logically through the rest of your items: shirts, blouses, t-shirts, tanks etc. these are the important LINK items that tie the tops and bottoms together. Important items to be IN.
Step 3 - RECONSIDER and Look Forward
- A quality garment that doesn't fit could be altered - evaluate whether it's worth the expense and whether you like it enough to both - RECONSIDER.
- Anything that is good but needs attention (hem or buttons) should be put to one side and attended to. Will you do it? RECONSIDER
- If a garment doesn't fit and you don't know why, check out your Body Type and understand why it doesn't fit. If it's completely wrong then you can justifiably
get rid of it and you'll be more aware of shape in the future. RECONSIDER
Wardrobe looking a bit bare?
If the wardrobe looks a bit bare now, don't worry, you've managed the first step as a Wardrobe Consultant so give yourself some credit.
It's better to have a few things that look good, fit and flatter you than to have a wardrobe full of clothes that do nothing for you - and that you never wear!
Next you'll be ready to go forward step by step and fill in the gaps with things that DO work!
Well done Wardrobe Consultant - a pat on the back and a glass of something nice! Time to think about a Capsule Wardrobe...
Find all articles relating to
Please share your COMMENTS
Homepage >> Wardrobe Makeover >> Wardrobe Consultant