Be your own Wardrobe Consultant
The first task is to tidy-up...
We'd all like our own Wardrobe Consultant but if you follow a few basic steps you can do it just as well by yourself.
We all need to take control of our closets from time to time - at the start of a new season; or perhaps it's getting more difficult to find everthing in the morning.
Or - perhaps you've just had your colors analyzed and want to think about co-ordination with a new color swatch.
I'm not talking about anything major here but there are 3 basic steps ...
Your aim is to...
- weed out things that don't work for your lifestyle or you don't like
- establish what fits, what does you justice and what you will happily wear
- try on, appraise and decide whether it's IN or OUT.
Step 1 - In, Out or Reconsider
- Remove things that are out of season or special occasion wear - less quantity makes it easier. OUT.
- Move all accessories and sort them separately. OUT.
- All items that fit you, flatter you and are appropriate for your lifestyle are IN.
- Anything that is good but needs attention (hem or buttons) should be put to one side, sorted, then IN.
- Clothes that are damaged, faded, out of shape are OUT.
- A complete mistake that you hate is OUT. (forget the guilt)
- A quality garment that doesn't fit could be altered - evaluate whether it's worth the expense - RECONSIDER.
Step 2 - Make it all visible - if you can't see it you can't use it!
- Sort out all your trousers and skirts - evaluate them carefully as they form the backbone of your wardrobe. If the condition is not good enough don't waste time trying them on.
- If they fit you and flatter you they will earn their place in your wardrobe so hang them in color blocks.
- Do the same for all your jackets
and cardigans - these will co-ordinate with the bottoms. Separate suits
so that you can make more outfits.
- Work logical
through the rest of your items: shirts, blouses, t-shirts, tanks etc.
these are the LINK items that tie the tops and bottoms together.
Step 3 - Looking forward
- If the wardrobe looks a bit bare,
don't worry, you've managed the first step as Wardrobe Consultant so give yourself credit.
- It's better to have a
few things that look good, fit and flatter you than to have lots of
clothes that do nothing for you and you won't wear.
- Next you'll be ready to go forward step by step and fill in the gaps with things that work.
NB If a garment doesn't fit properly, check your Body Type and understand why it doesn't fit.
If you can understand why something doesn't fit then you can justifiably
get rid of it and you'll be more aware of shape in the future.
Well done Wardrobe Consultant - a pat on the back and a glass of something nice! Time to think about a Capsule Wardrobe...
Do you have any queries or comments about what you've read on this page or perhaps you'd like to share an experience of your own?
Homepage >> Wardrobe Makeover >> Wardrobe Consultant