A Closet Cleanout!
Give yourself the gift of a Closet Cleanout!
- 'Til you know what you've got you don't know what you need
- If you can't see it you can't wear it
- A few items that fit and flatter are worth more than a full closet with nothing to wear
- Just do it - take 3 steps!
Solve your space problems
If you're short of wardrobe space decide how you might add space or streamline.
A set of matching hangers will beautify your space instantly! I love the pretty hanging rail below. As well as giving you extra space,
you could sort your outfits for the entire week plus accessories so
you're ready to go.
You don't need a huge space for an inexpensive canvas wardrobe
or a set of hanging shelves to store knitwear and free up hanging
Your aim is to...
and sort your wardrobe to make it all visible
- weed out things that don't work for your lifestyle or you don't like
- establish what fits, what does you justice and what you will happily wear
- try on, appraise and decide whether it's IN, OUT or it needs some work!
- You are NOT GOING TO GET RID of anything unless you're very sure!
- Don't take longer than an hour or two or you'll get completely fed up! You can always reconsider items at a later time!
3 steps to a Closet Cleanout
1 Clear OUT make space
- Remove all clothes you're not currently wearing, out of season, vacation wear, coats, sportswear, occasionwear etc. OUT
- Remove all damaged, faded or out of shape items OUT
- Remove anything that was a complete mistake or that you hate OUT
- Put all accessories, scarves, belts etc to one side OUT
2 They fit, You like! IN
- Sort through your trousers and skirts and decide whether they fit and flatter you. If so they are IN.
- Do the same for jackets and cardigans ready to co-ordinate with the bottoms. Separate any suits so that you can make more outfits - if they fit and you feel happy with them they're IN.
- Work logically through the rest of your items: shirts, blouses, t-shirts, tanks etc. these are the important LINK items that tie the tops and bottoms together. Important items to be IN.
- Hang them IN logical sets - skirts, pants, tops, jackets etc.
3 Reconsider/Plan ahead
- When a garment is tailored to fit you properly the whole look will change. Do you like it enough? RECONSIDER.
- Anything that needs attention like a simple sewing job (hem or buttons) should be put to one side and attended to. Will you do it? RECONSIDER
- Don't know why it doesn't suit you? Check out your Body Type to understand the shapes that suit your figure. If it's completely wrong you can justifiably
get rid of it and be more aware in the future RECONSIDER
Looking a bit bare?
If the wardrobe looks a bit bare now, don't worry, you've managed your Closet Cleanout so give yourself some credit.
It's better to have a few things that look good, fit and flatter than a wardrobe full of clothes that you never wear!
Now you're ready to go forward step by step and fill in the gaps with things that DO work!
What to do with the OUT pile
- Tidy up, sort out by all means - but it's not necessary to actually get rid of
anything until you are certain that it's right to do so.
- Put them to one side; stick them in the spare bedroom; push
them into the loft; even hide them in the car boot - but never get rid
of anything on the spur on the moment.
- When you have time you can always RECONSIDER!
Well done on completing your Closet Cleanout
Time to think about a Capsule or perhaps it's not for you?
Sitemap or locate all features relating to...
Homepage >> Wardrobe Makeover >> Closet Cleanout